Monday, 13 October 2014

The Mortal Instruments to become a TV Series - Is it a good thing?

So it’s been a few hours since the announcement was made via The Hollywood Reporter, that The Mortal Instruments (TMI) will be made into a TV Series (view article).

Let me first start by saying that I was in “We want City of Ashes movie” mode for ages, so when I first heard the news, I first just raised an eyebrow. I can’t say I was altogether surprised as Cassie did give us a hint whilst in Brazil a few months ago that it had been/was being considered (you can read my tumblr story about it here).


Having mulled over it for a few hours now, I’ve come to the conclusion that is a good thing and the more I think about it, it’s turning into a VERY GOOD thing.

I was going to draw up and pro’s and con’s table but I really couldn’t think of any con’s about TMI being made into a TV Series. It’s all positives as far as I’m concerned with the ONLY potential negative (and to some it’s a BIGGY and a deal breaker) is that we might not get the original cast from the movie (for the record, there is no news on casting yet).

What I like most about the move to TV is that we’re not restricted to 90min to tell the story per book. Let’s face it, as excited as we all were to see City of Bones come to life on screen, they didn’t really do a great job of it. I can spend a whole post in itself to pick apart what I believe let the movie down except to say there were A LOT of plot holes (no mention of Parabatai!) and plot changes in the movie that had us scratching our heads. It’s no secret that it didn’t do great at the box office hence why everything came to a screeching halt with City of Ashes.

Having TMI being made into a series will allow for more time to explore the characters in more detail (better character development), the Shadowhunter world and the story in general - No cutting corners which tends to happen in films because they try to cram it all in and more often than not, it’s detrimental to the movie in the end.

Now, I would LOOOOOOVE if we had the movie cast transplanted in the TV Series and it’s not too much of a stretch because most of the cast have done TV at some point in their careers – Look at this list:


(TMI Character - Actor/Actress (TV Series done)
Clary Fray - Lily Collins (did a stint in the revamped 90210 show)
Jace Wayland - Jamie Campbell Bower (The Prisoner, Camelot)
Simon Lewis - Robert Sheehan (Foreign Exchange, Young Blades, Misfits and many more)
Alex Lightwood – Kevin Zegers (Titans, Gossip Girl, Titanic: Blood and Steel, Gracepoint and many more)
Jocelyn Fray - Lena Headey (Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Game of Thrones and many more)
Valentine Morgenstein - Jonathan Rhys Meyers (The Tudors and Dracula)
Luke Garroway - Aidan Turner (Desperate Romantics, The Clinic, Being Human and Poldark)
Magnus Bane – Godfrey Gao (Momo Love)
Isabelle Lightwood – Jemima West (15/Love, Grand Star, Ben and Thomas, Maison close and many more)
Hodge Starkweather - Jared Harris (Fringe, Mad Men and many more)
Samuel Blackwell - Robert Maillet (Haven, The Strain and many more)
Emil Pangborn - Kevin Durand (Dark Angel Lost, The Strain and many more)
Madame Dorothea - CCH Pounder (Predominately done TV)

…but… sorry to say, I don’t think it will happen. Mainly because of this of this tweet from Cassie:



The TMI TV Series will be starting from scratch and I don’t know of any TV Shows which use the same cast as the movie to ‘re-do’ what’s been done on film (please let me know if I’m wrong). I know this might upset a lot of you as some would like to only picture Jamie as Jace or Lily as Clary but we must be prepared in the event that we won’t see some familiar faces in the TV Series (especially hard for those who haven’t read the books and enjoyed the film – although I would secretly hope these people went back and read the book/s).

Remember Shadowhunters, it was the story and characters in the books that got you hooked and so while I’m bummed if we don’t get the old cast back for the key roles, I’m happy either way that the story is continuing on the silver screen. If it will be the case of new faces portraying our favourite characters then I’ll just have to suck it up and get on with it (we don’t have a choice now do we!?).

To conclude, making the transition from movie to TV is a good thing and it can work! Look at Teen Wolf and Buffy! 


Think of all the regular set pics, the behind the scenes footage, hanging for a new episode every week (assuming it will be shown weekly). The box sets, hearing about the series all year round (over many years *fingers crossed*). Beats 'one' movie any day in my books!

So yeah, personally, I'm looking forward to it! Especially, fangirling with you all through the whole process!

BRING. IT. ON!

~ Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment